Rocking in the corner


The Ceanothus that stood in this corner was a glorious specimen, the size of a small tree and dripping in purple blooms when it flowered. All that's left is part of the trunk as you can see to the right of the picture. Heartbreaking.

Unfortunately, as I learned from the Ceanothus we had in the front garden, these plants have a relatively short lifespan. I estimate each of ours were around 20-years-old when they died, which is double their life expectancy.

Its loss left a corner of the garden quite bare and feeling unloved, even if it did reveal a holly and a bay that I didn't even realise were there. The ferns also seem to have taken on a new lease of life with the additional shaded light.

To make things a little more interesting we've cleared the area of the logs we stacked and introduced some rocks. I'm in half a mind to turn one of the butler sinks we have into a pond and run a stream to the main pond but that might have to wait until I've made my mind up.

The one introduction other than the rocks is a little fig tree sucker that I planted. It's touch and go for this at the moment, having transplanted it at the wrong time of year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular Posts