Chusan palm

Remember the Chusan palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) I was talking about in my previous post? Well this is them, lapping up the sun on the patio and getting bigger by the day.

It's hard to believe how tiny these looked when I first got them. The bigger one was the smallest, funnily enough. Two tiny fans poking out of the earth, and now look - before long it's going to outgrow its pot, and that has to be 2' tall.

I repotted the smaller one this year so it's wallowing in a bath of fresh compost-sand mix at the moment and looking all the better for it. I bought it cheap at a garden centre just after the first palm and it looked like it was on its last legs. That was about seven years ago, and it has noticeably lagged its buddy, even though it looks greener than ever this summer.

Just added some Miracle Gro to these, having switched from organic seaweed fertiliser, so they should be at least 30' by the end of the summer.

Comments

Popular Posts