Waiting game

It's now a week to the day since the tree ferns arrived and there appears to be some movement in the frond department. The fronds start as furry looking humps in the crown (top part) of the trunk, and I'm sure it isn't my imagination that these furry humps are getting bigger.

General opinion is that tree ferns begin producing fronds within three weeks of being replanted and considering these fellas have just arrived from Australia after a trip which must have taken weeks, I'm fairly surprised I'm seeing signs of life already. They must like their new home, and the weather.

Fully grown, the fronds should grow as big as the trunk is tall, so that is 6ft of fern. They will arch over the bottom of the garden and create a little tunnel to the shed. At least that's the plan.

Elsewhere in the garden, the Gladioli have peaked, so that was a flash in the pan, and something has eaten the leaves on my baby bananas. If there weren't another 12 banana plants in the garden I would be fuming.

On another note, Lizzie is still haunted by the massive spider she found on the stairs a few days back. For a scary moment I wondered if this was an uninvited guest who had hitched a lift from Oz - I had laid a trunk down beside the house right at the location of an air brick. Lizzie's dad, however, who had been summoned by her to dispose of said predator because I was at work, is 100 per cent certain it was a common house spider. So no fumigation required.

Comments

Popular Posts