Fig off

I got this shot of the fig tree outside the back door just in the nick of time. The leaves are just beginning to turn but they're still holding out.

Since it was taken the leaves have completely yellowed and the whole tree has given up its fight against the march of the seasons.

This picture must have been taken about a week ago, during a period of exceptionally mild and sunny weather. Summer's last gasp, as it turns out.

The fig is the first tree in the garden to really give up. Next door's oak is still happily clothed in green leaves, as is the lilac tree, and even the wisteria is holding out, although the big bamboo (see previous post) is starting to surrender its greenery.

It must be something about fruit trees because the pear in the garden of the other neighbour is beginning to look a bit shabby, too. Which brings me to the figs, which are usually abundant. This year I can count three. And I refreshed the tree's compost in the summer. How's that for ungrateful? Maybe I severed an important root when I was transplanting the suckers, some of which, I hasten to add, seem to have taken off.

Next year, thanks to the sucker profligation of the fig tree, the buddha will have his own sacred fig tree to sit under. Actually he will have two, because I mistakenly thought the first hadn't taken so planted another.

Fig trees all over the place. With any luck I'll get a bit more in the way of fruit next year.

Comments

Popular Posts